Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An Organized Home: Creating a Chore Schedule

When my home is clean and decluttered it gives me a deep sense of peace and certainly more energy.  I feel like the day holds more options and potential when I wake up to a clean home with everything in its place.  Unfortunately this does not happen often enough!  I have found that between caring for a toddler and trying to feed our family three wholesome meals each day, keeping up with the laundry and dishes are sometimes all more than I can manage.  I knew I had to find a way to schedule all the chores that I want to have done into my week, especially before welcoming a new little one into our family in November.  I came up with a list of all the things that I want to do each week and then a smaller list of all the things that should be done monthly.  I then ordered the weekly chores into a Monday through Saturday list, assigning smaller tasks to days that are more hectic than others. 

Here is what it looks like:
  • Monday:
    • Vacuum
    • Clean out refrigerator (our CSA pickup is Monday afternoon)
  • Tuesday:
    • Meal Plan for the week
    • Clean mirrors, sinks, tubs and toilets
    • Empty trash
  • Wednesday:
    • Water plants
  • Thursday:
    • Dust and clean surfaces
    • Dry Mop floors
  • Friday:
    • Pay bills and update budget
  • Saturday:
    • Change all linens
    • Catch up on laundry
For my monthly list I have included:
  • Mop floors
  • Wipe down entire kitchen
  • Dust blinds
  • Dust light fixtures
  • Vacuum upholstery
I have been using this plan for a few weeks now and love it!  Even when I miss a day I am still getting so much more done than I used to.  I no longer feel overwhelmed not knowing where to begin and I no longer feel guilty that my house is dirty!  Even my husband has let me know how much he appreciates the extra effort I have been putting in lately.  Housework is never fun, but by breaking it down into manageable daily tasks it is so much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment