Monday, March 15, 2010

Swiss Chard Even a Toddler Will Eat!



I am new to cooking greens and sometime feel intimidated by them.  I know they are so very nutritious but I wonder how they will taste and if my family will actually eat them.  Swiss Chard (or Rainbow Chard) however is easy and tasty!  I am sure there are many ways to prepare this green but here is what worked for me.  As you can see, I don't really use measurements when I cook things like this.  Just put the amount that looks right and enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • one bunch chard (I used Rainbow as you can see above)
  • 1/2 red or yellow onion
  • fresh garlic to taste (3 cloves for us)
  • Butter or Coconut Oil, be generous!  It adds such good flavor.
  • Salt and Pepper, other seasoning to taste
  • Frozen Corn
  • Precooked sprouted lentils (optional)
  • Parmesan Cheese for topping
Thoroughly clean your greens then separate the stalks from the leafy part.  Chop the stalks and the onion and saute in butter or coconut oil for a minute.  Add in the garlic and salt and pepper as well as any other seasoning you like (crushed red pepper, granulated garlic, dried thyme, etc) and cook until just tender. 

 Meanwhile, roughly chop the leafy greens and add them once the stalks are slightly tender.  Continue to stir and cook until the greens are wilted. 

Then add frozen corn and lentils if desired.  The corn adds a sweetness that balances the earthy flavor of the chard and the lentils add protein and make this dish more satisfying.  Test for doneness and for flavor and top with Parmesan Cheese if desired.  If only it ended up as pretty as it started!

No comments:

Post a Comment